There are a number of welfare payments available to retired and older people living in Ireland.
- The State Pension (Contributory) is paid to people from the age of 66 who have enough Irish social insurance contributions. It is not means-tested
- The State Pension (Non-Contributory) is means tested may be paid from age 66 to people in Ireland who do not qualify for a State Pension (Contributory).
- The State Pension (Transition) is paid to people aged 65 who have retired from work and who have enough social insurance contributions. It is not means-tested
Free Travel in Ireland
Everyone aged 66 and over living permanently in Ireland is entitled to travel free of charge on public transport. Others on certain social welfare payments also share this entitlement. For further information please visit Border People - Free Travel Scheme
Household Benefits Package
You may qualify if you are aged 70 or over, or aged between 66 and 70 and receiving the state pension. Others may also qualify, depending on their circumstances. The package includes:
- The Electricity Allowance
- The Natural Gas Allowance
- The Electricity (Group Account) Allowance
- The Bottled Gas Refill Allowance
- The Telephone Allowance
- The Free Television Licence.
For further information please visit:
Living Alone Increase
The Living Alone Increase is an extra payment for people aged 66 and over, on social welfare pensions who are living alone.
A Fuel Allowance is a means tested payment under the National Fuel Scheme to help with the cost of heating your home. It is paid to people who are getting a State Pension or are dependant on long-term social welfare and who are unable to provide for their own heating needs. For further information please visit Border People - National Fuel Scheme
- www.welfare.ie - Retired or older person
- Age Action Ireland - www.ageaction.ie
- Care Alliance Ireland - www.carealliance.ie
- Safe Home Programme Ireland - www.safehomeireland.com/benefits
About this information record ...
|Comments:||0 Add Your Comment|
|Permalink:||Older people benefits in Ireland|
|Categories:||Retirement, Social Welfare|
|Target Groups:||Retired, All|
|Last updated:||17 January 2011|
Contact Border People
Please use the form below to forward your comments on this subject to the Border People team.
Indicates required information