Skip navigation
Follow Us on Facebook on Twitter

Tax credits in Northern Ireland

Information applies to: Northern Ireland

Tax credit payments are based on your current personal circumstances, such as whether you work, how many children you have and your annual income. The lower your income, the more tax credits you can get.

There are two types

  1. Working Tax Credits – for those who work but are on a low income
  2. Child Tax Credits – for those with responsibility for children

For further information please visit the Gov UK page on Tax credits external website. It includes information on how to get started, who qualifies and entitlements.

Cross border issues

Tax credits for cross-border workers

You could get Working Tax Credit if

  • you live in the South and travel to work in the North - you actually have to do your work in the North (UK), not just work for an employer based in the UK.
  • you live in the North, but travel South across the border to work - but you'll need to return to the North regularly, for example every day or weekly

The Childcare Element of Working Tax Credit may also be awarded provided your child is with a registered child minder located in Northern Ireland.

You could get Child Tax Credit for your children if

  • you work in the North (UK)
  • you pay National Insurance contributions as a worker there
  • your child lives in an EEA country (e.g. Ireland) or in Switzerland and is living with your partner or someone else and they depend on you to support them

Get Tax Credits advice

How to make a complaint

Frequently cross border applications for Tax Credits are deemed Complex Cases. When dealing with the Tax Credits Office you should ask to speak to someone with knowledge of EU regulations or a Team Leader

Unfortunately cross border workers frequently come across difficulties and long delays when making an application for tax credits.

It is possible to complain if you think that your claim has been unreasonably delayed, if you have difficulty getting information about your claim or if you have been given incorrect information e.g. if your claim has been discontinued because you move South across the border, even though you continue to work in Northern Ireland.

When making a complaint you must first write to the Tax Credits Office or call the Tax Credit Helpline

Complaints Manager
Tax Credit Office
Telephone: 0345 300 3900 or +44 2890 538 192 if calling from outside the UK

(Please have your National Insurance number to hand)

If you’re unhappy with the response from the Complaints Manager you should ask for your complaint to be looked at again.  

If you’re still unhappy you can then ask the Adjudicator to look into it. Please visit the following website for details on how to submit a complaint to the Adjudicator  - external website

The Adjudicator's Office
PO Box 10280
Telephone: 0300 057 1111

For further information please visit HMRC - Tax credits - how to complain external website

See also

FOR ADVISORS: please see the HMRC Tax Credits manuals external website

About this information record ...

Comments: 0 Add Your Comment
Permalink: Tax credits in Northern Ireland
Themes: Commute, Work
Categories: Employment, Social Welfare
Life Events: Working, Commuting, Having a baby, Adoption
Target Groups: Parents, All, Workers, Migrant workers, Frontier workers
Last updated: 22 August 2014

Contact Border People

Please use the form below to forward your comments on this subject to the Border People team.

(Required) Indicates required information

Your details
Your comment